Tuesday, December 15, 2009

health at every size + my school results

so, i didn't realise i was so passionate about this issue, until my mum and dad started talking about my uncle and aunt.

they are both obese, and have a very unhealthy lifestyle.
but recently, my uncle especially, has been losing weight healthily by running and eating healthier food.
good on him, i say.
but this isn't what annoyed me.

my mum and dad always rave about how he's doing so well to lose the weight.
lose the weight, lose the weight, lose the weight.
ugh.
so i asked mum why they had the lose weight,
and mum went on a rant about how fat = unhealthy and to be healthy you have to be at a 'normal' weight.
this made me really angry, and i brought up health at every size.
mum said it was bullshit.
then i got more angry, because she was all like 'if you're fat you're unhealthy, it doesn't matter if you eat healthy, you're still fat which means unhealthy'.

i just dont know what to say to that.
sure, i know that diabetics lose weight to get healthy, and sure, there's nothing wrong with people with health problems being told to lose weight... but, the mentality is that FAT = UNHEALTHY.
even if the person in question happens to be completely healthy on the inside, if they're fat, they're automatically considered unhealthy because of those bad connotations.

ugh. it just pissed me off more than i thought it would.
my parents are so closed minded.

however, i have some good news. :)
yesterday morning at 7am, i received my ENTER. 
for those of you who don't know what that is, in Victoria Australia, the ENTER is a ranking of academic performance up to 100.
i needed 87 to get into my dream course - Psychology at Deakin Uni.
i was expecting about an 80 - 85, what with my depression/anxiety/ED/grandma dying etc.
but to my pleasant surprise, my score was 90.45

New Car, my parent's undying love and Deakin, here i come!!

2 comments:

Eleanor said...

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ENTER SCORE!
Woah, that's an amazing result. Be very, very proud of that, because you've earnt that mark.

As for the mentality that fat = unhealthy.. It's in my household, too. But you know what's right, and that's the important thing. Your parents are ignorant to the fact that a person can be over the "healthy weight range", but can still be fit and healthy and happy.
You know what's right.

Again, congratulations.
:)

Love,
Eleanor.

Katie said...

Congratulations! Thats an amazing score!

I just came back from staying with a friend at the beach and her family is all dieting and her Mum seems to just talk and talk and talk about how all she eats is vegetables and how fat other people are, and then saying I'm too thin and needs to eat up.

It annoys me that she thinks she can target someone who is at the other end of the weight spectrum, suffering from anorexia, when she herself is obsessed with dieting.

xx Katie