Sunday, September 27, 2009

body confidence



Lizzie Miller is a plus-sized model, who appeared in Glamour magazine recently. Click here for the article about the image. Moving on, i'm not going to elaborate on the issues that this beautiful woman has brought up in today's society, there's been enough rant about it.

What i want to talk about is the astonishing comments this photograph has recieved from the public. Particularly men (excluding those men who have enough decency to recognise real beauty). There have been numerous amounts of men complaining that this woman is fat, and ugly and i quote "her bellybutton is big enough to fist". Naturally, my first reaction to those men is FUCK YOU. Turns out many other women had the same reaction as me, fighting back with fierce passion about how beauty comes in every size, how paintings of women in the 15th century depicted soft, round women, how women shouldn't be pressured into being stick thin, and how size 12 is NOT plus sized, and certainly not fat!

I find it very interesting how ready and willing these women (including myself) are to defend our bodies and defend our dignity. And i ask, why can't we say these things to ourselves? I know when I feel down, and rather crap about my body, calling myself fat and gross, the last thing on my mind is to dispute that feeling. I do not look myself in the eye and say "hey, you're not fat. you're a sexy, beautiful woman, just like how you should be. men love your curves. get out and flaunt it". Yet, we are so passionate about defending our bodies in the face of outside criticism.

Just a thought.

I've started a new folder on my computer -alongside my "thinspiration" folder (which I, admittedly, do not plan on deleting anytime soon) -that is devoted to healthy-looking, sexy women, with body types that I would like to aspire to, and CAN aspire to. The two photographs I have in this folder are the one pictured above of the lovely Lizzie Miller, and the deliciously curvy Marilyn Monroe.

Cheers, women, to body confidence!

No comments: