Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Flashback -1997

I know this is my second blog for the day, but inspired by lisalisa I've decided to take a journey into my past, back to grade Prep.

I'm sitting at my table. Joy runs through me.
I set my eyes down upon my alphabet work, and the big, red ticks stare back, as if smiling up at me.
At that moment, 3 boys appear at my table.
I look up at them. They each Sneer.
The middle one, Luke, narrows his eyes, and the spikes in his hair seem to sharpen.
I try to feel confident. What could he possibly say?

"Hey Kaaatie", says Luke in a sing-song voice, "bet you can't spell!"
"I can so!" I say, rising up to the taunt. I stand, my heartbeat races. I know this will be easy, I am a great speller.
"Okay then, spell da" He teases.
What? That isn't a word. I stand confused, but I give it a shot anyway.
"D - A" I say, my voice calm and steady.
"Nope," he says. His smile stretches across his cold face. I am determined to get this right.
"D ... U?" I guess, uncertainly.
"Nope" he smirks. He seems to get bigger and bigger. I sink into the ground.
"D - E? D - O?" I try.
He shakes his head, laughing.
"What is it then?" I ask impatiently, wondering how in the world da could be spelt.
"It's T - H - E!" he says triumphantly, leaning forward as if trying to spear me with the letters.
All 3 of the boys laugh and walk away.

I am left standing there, dumbfounded, and I feel helpless.
He said DA! not THE! 
I am angry. But what can I say?
I feel like I'm trapped and there's nothing I can do. It's not fair.

The ticks on my work lay forgotten.
The happiness they gave me is lost, taken away from me by Luke.

2 comments:

lisalisa said...

Luke sounds like a little turd who can't pronounce his words!
I dislike summer also. I hate wearing shorts and t shirts, especially since I have gained weight. One good thing you forgot to list about summer though- GRILLING! Fun and low fat method of food prep. i love to grill eggplant and zuchinni- so tasty!

Barbara Simpson said...

This is a wonderful piece. You really nailed the way childhood incidents can stay with us. I particularly liked the way Luke became more menacing as the piece went on, with the spikes in his hair seeming to sharpen and how he seemed to get bigger and bigger. Very well done.